Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Autographed Cardinals Baseball for a Young Fan


What's the greatest thrill? I can think of a few things. Going to your first MLB game with friends, meeting the mascot and taking a picture with him, sitting down to the game with your dad and grandfathers while having a whole bag of peanuts at your disposal, or catching a foul ball or foul bat (as Josh Hamilton is famous for). I've had the privilege to do a few of those things and watch my son go through a bag of peanuts at his first major league game in Arlington, TX.


But, is there anything more exciting for a young baseball fan than to meet the players off the field and get an autographed baseball from 2 players from their favorite team? I don't think there can be. I had that opportunity back when I was about 10 yrs old in '88 or so, two Redbird pitchers named Rick(y) Horton and Todd Worrell came to my church back then, Calvary Church Mid Rivers in St. Peters, MO to talk about what it was like to be a pro baseball player and to be a Christian. At the end of the program those two signed my ball complete with Bible verses. 

I remember that Rick Horton was a part of FCA and would often go speaking for that organization and to represent Christ. That speaking as a player must have paid off for Mr. Horton, as he is now the play by play announcer for the Cardinals on Fox Sports Midwest. Today almost 25 years later, I remembered about that ball. I went looking and found it in my box of memorabilia. There it is for your viewing pleasure. My memory becomes your reality.

What is one memory you have of the Cards during your childhood?

No comments:

Post a Comment